The Canal Jumper

It’s been almost a week so I’ve forgotten most of what happened! I’ll get it out of the way quickly. *ahem* 31 fails… SO… erm… šŸ˜€

This one was in Northampton and started at 6:30pm. Despite leaving at 4:30pm we were still late. We couldn’t find the pub. Still, the walk by the canal was nice. When we got to the pub car park we found the other entrants. Gotta say, good turn-out from CT.

We decided to enter at the novice level – everyone got the same clues but novice people got a cheat sheet. We went back to the car and started to plot the route. This one was easier than last except I kept expecting to get caught out with crafty clues so struggled. There were no dodgy tricks and when we realised and started to look at things simply it fell into place. We did have a lot of help from Don though. The two and a half hour record was dashed and we set off before daylight. I’m proud we managed to do the plotting in the same time as Ellis and Dale.

There were some very nice roads and one or two puddles. Sadly we got lost. Steve was struggling with getting a mental image of the map as I was driving and couldn’t always say if I needed to turn left or right. Not that I can comment as I turned left out of the car park to go home when I should have turned right. I flashed past Doug as he was coming out of the car park and we had a natter at some traffic lights furth on. In total we probably put an extra 10 or so miles onto what we should have done. We also had to cut out section eight as time was short.

Just after pulling out of the car park Ellis’ car pulled over. I think he was checking if we were following him. We weren’t. šŸ™‚ One thing though, check your brake lights. I almost went up your arse! šŸ˜€

I’m still learning. I’m slowly getting the hang of plotting routes but need to remember that’s the job of the navigater and should leave it to them. How else will they be familiar with the route when I’m driving? And we also need to make sure we clearly mark where sections end. Oh, and that there’s no need to belt along at 50mph if you’re not being timed… Far less chance of a mistake if you take your time. On Monday I marked up my maps after seeing how Doug had done his.

Here are the clues and the cheat sheet to show others what to expect of a rally.

what’s the point – oh fudge

Following on from the breakdown in the Moggy I did a couple of small jobs on it when parts arrived on Friday. The car had been working fine since I gave the points a quick clean although it was rough on tick-over before it got warm. Here are some photos of the points, I think it’s safe to say it these were a problem… I replaced points and condenser in the dizzy, the HT leads, the spark plugs and the points in the fuel pump for double pointed things. All for the sum total of Ā£25 including delivery. It runs like a dream now. More poke and the choke actually works!

And now the “oh fudge”. I’ve had rust coming up on my wing all winter and each time I treat it the rust is back the next day. I found out why this morning.

catch tank

For this make children, you will need;
1 old flask which has not been used for a few years and which has a curious smell which just won’t shift
1 straight 15mm compression joint
1 crankcase vent filter (Ā£8.99 in Halfords – Ā£3.99 eBay)
some glue
and a bit of pipe


The bits minus the filter


The compression joint attached to the flask. A ole was cut in the side and it was glued in and then the nut done up on the inside to bring it all together and maintain the sealed air space between the walls of the flask


And then the filter had to be glued onto the flask lid, after a hole was cut in it. To keep the number of pictures down here’s one of the whole thing on the car – it’s sitting tucked in the corner of where the near-side engine valance and radiator meet


And in this one you can just about make out what it’s caught in 20 miles when running without the filterĀ (asĀ IĀ wasĀ waitingĀ forĀ itĀ toĀ arriveĀ inĀ theĀ post) – almost all of it being water

All in all, it looks a bit like a small flask with a filter stuck on the top, which it is. But it’s a shiny stainless steel one, cost me less than Ā£6 and can easily be removed to be emptied or removed. This is just a fiddle to see what difference it makes and to see what the engine was burning other than petrol and air. For now the mushroom is still on the inlet manifold but with a blanked off pipe preventing it from becoming an air-leak.