it be off

Slow progress today as I only got four hours sleep last night. Entirely my own fault – I decided to listen to about seven albums rather than nod-off. I have to see The Strokes and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs live one day!

Anyhoo, the bulkhead. It wasn’t too bad to remove in the end. Only six bolts and three came out dead easy. Two others were seized and one had a non-existent captive plate which just went round and round.

It does feel strange being able to walk through the car now. It’s also amazing when you realise how little the front section of the car weighs;
null

When off I was able to take a good look at the underside. The below snap is of what appeared to be the good side. In fact, a previous owner had replaced the floor pan at some point (the guess is 20-25 years ago);
null

I can now also inspect the chassis properly. There’s one tiny section which has a pin hole so I’ll replace that. It’s near the out-rail where I have to jack the car up. I don’t like doing it there but have to as the trolley jack won’t fit under the main chassis despited having much smaller wheels made for it. I was surprised to find that the outer rail was only held together by the bolt which goes to the body mount. I don’t know if this is normal or correct but looks wrong to my eyes so will most likely get a quick zap with the welder. I’ll check on the CT forum first to see whether or not it’s a good idea.

null

No going back now…

With so much forced holiday at work I was hoping to get loads done to the Herald. As it turned out I’ve done sod all! 5 and a bit bottles of wine at Christmas took a bit out of me… and the garage only became free a few hours ago. Once the car was inside I jumped straight to work watching a blu-ray (Limitless is a great film) and going out to get my hair cut. Anyhoo, when I got round to it I started to strip the bulkhead. About five hours later (including food and arsing around) it looked like this;

null

So tomorrow I’ll put all the bits away, remove the carbs, get the bulkhead off, cut out the battery box to make a cradle for the boot and cut off the heater box so it can be bolted to the new bulkhead. The reason for bolting it is so I can get paint all over the inside without worrying. It seems that they left the factory with little or no protection in there and the one on the new bulkhead had rotted as a result.

Speaking of which, last Friday it looked a bit like this;

null

Except it’s now had the paint stripped, battery, wiper and heater box removed and the holes left from removing spot welds welded up. Still loads to do but as I’m now working inside rather than a tent I hope things will get done ten time faster! Before I could only do work in daylight hours at weekend.

To reward myself I’m rather quickly making my way through a bottle of Lagunilla Rioja. *hic*