battery box wooden work…

The bulkhead is on and bolted up. 🙂 Every hole lined up so I got the chassis and the tub right, probably. I’ll offer the doors up at some point to check. Progress was slightly slower than hoped as I hurt myself going climbing then the gym the next day. It’s also now got a base coat on but it’s reacted so requires attention. Bollocks.

So Sunday I mostly worked on the battery box. It’s weird, I couldn’t be bothered with it for ages but when I decided to do it actually enjoyed myself. Maybe because it was messing around with wood rather than bits of metal. I went a bit poncey with it, rounding off all corners, making the edges more tactile, etc. At the end of the day, it’s a box! Just needs some black paint slapping on to finish it. It’s also got a shelf on the top for me to throw crap on when I feel like it. It’s slightly less wasted space now.

null
Yeah, the terminals are bronze…

null

I also tweaked the site. Twitter is now flickering away in the corner and my photos are now more visible as they’re randomly shown on the right. Must upload the ones from last year! Oh, and you can now leave comments or like entries via Facebook (which should also work on the CT site). It’s only been tested quickly but all seems to work. I get a post on my wall if you reply.

cool….

Righto, the plan was to slap some exterior metal paint on the inside of the floor pans today but that went tits-up when I ordered it. Turns out that following the instructions on Screwfix’s site which says you’ll be able to collect it from the shop that day actually means naff all. So that will all have the wait until Saturday which is a slight annoyance. Lack of paint is the only thing stopping me from putting it back on the chassis.

Anyhoo, instead I fitted the oil cooler I bought from Rob. Word of warning to anyone buying a second hand one. Just because someone has a similar or even the same car as you doesn’t mean that they’ll mount it in the same way as you. Twas a bit of a faff with the pipes but got it sorted in the end. Also managed to relocate the air filter so it’s now off the valance in preparation for the fibreglass jobbie going on. Some will suggest I’ve mounted it in the wrong place as it’s not fully in the air flow but… the bonnet will be getting a few holes cut into it including a pencil moustache style one in front of the oil cooler. Also, the horns aren’t mounted where they normally would be and there’s a TR6 K&N air filter sitting there as well, so not a huge amount of space. Oh, and excuse the state of the bonnet. I gave up caring once I decided I was going to fit a fibreglass one and like I’ve said before, it’s been a looooooooooong time since it has been washed…

null

null

couple more weeks?

You know, I honestly can’t remember what I did last week – isn’t my memory amazing! I think I found out on Saturday that my o/s seatbelt mounting was past its best so dealt with that rather than the heal board like I planned and then on Sunday sorted that out. That put me yet another day behind. A quick couple of snaps to show you that work. And again, Doug and Katie’s car lives on. I used a section from their green Herald on the other side to repair inside my b-post last year and this time was able to use an off-cut from that section to repair a completely different part on the other side. Out-riggers have been bought and will be replaced at some point. 🙂

null

null

I can’t remember when I welded on the new chassis sections, it was either that Saturday or the one before, but it now all looks a little like this, but far blacker due to underseal. Next week I hope to fit the body onto it so we’ll see how well my measurements, erm, measure up!

null

Also, the bulkhead is looking slightly more completed than this at the moment. I’m waiting for some warmth so I can get some paint on it before putting it back on the chassis. It seems (going by the thermometer left in the garage) that I’ve been working in temperatures not raising much above 4°C – no wonder the underseal hasn’t behaved properly.

null

null

Today I attacked the battery box. It’s been relocated to the boot to allow room on the bulkhead for ECU’s and stuff later one. The boot on the Herald slopes downwards so I had to turn up a couple of spaces on the lathe. If my maths and guestimations are correct the 35mm jobbies should mean the battery sits level. When I get the car off axle stands I’ll know!

null

The brass one is the new earth for the -ve of the battery. Hopefully, it’ll all work! When it’s all painted, tidied and bolted together it’ll look something like this. Yes, the battery is slightly larger than standard.

null