So last Friday I got the drivers seat fitted and all the brackets made and ended the day with their paint drying. Saturday I went to bolt down the passenger seat ready to see what I could do with the handbrake and… it didn’t bloody fit! I had no idea the runners were narrower than the drivers side and I’ve never seen a reference to it either so it hit me a little out of the blue. Looking at it a little closer showed the folds in the floorpan were only just going to allow me to do it. Then that was it for the day. I felt like shite, my back was killing me and a mate phoned to ask me to meet up with her. It never happened and I spent the rest of the day in bed!

Sunday was BBQ day so the only sensible thing to do was to put the Acclaim on the drive, remove the drivers seat to repair a tear then get some paste on the exhaust joint in the hope it would seal. It’s a never ending saga with this exhaust and I threw it together a few weeks back with no paste so it had to be done.

Monday came around and it was time to weld up the floorpan and drill some holes. All nice and simple but in order to get the seat sitting in the safest position it’s slightly nearer to the centre of the car than the drivers side. No choice really, unless I want it wonky, which I don’t. This also brought up the issue of the handbrake. The plan was to move it to the passenger side but I felt it would be too tight a gap and the seat being where it now is made it even tighter. Easy solution, move it right! This also gave more room as the shape of the floor means it was raised as well. Seems to be a happy accident but I’m happy with its location.

Yesterday was wiring time. I didn’t get very far but made/modified a couple of brackets, formulated a plan and got painting some car parts dove grey. 🙂 A large chunk of time was spent stripping the Herald of wires it’ll no longer need which was a good thing as I found a couple of melted wires for the horns. Guess what I’m doing today!

Oh, and here’s a photo showing how tight I am for space around the o/s of the bulkhead. Made to measure, much?

Are you sitting comfortably? You have a fan.

Yesterday saw some of the jobs ticked off. Brakes were filled and a leak found and fixed, clutch was filled and was fine, fuel hoses were completed and clipped into place on the chassis, the wheel bearing was tightened and the fan was located but not fitted. Plus some other jobs I can’t remember. I noticed today that the sleeve on the speedo cable has come adrift as expected so I’ll have to remember to address that tomorrow. And today, well not a lot seems to have happened! The sum total of todays efforts appears to be some matt black pieces of metal used to bolt the Mazda seats into the car. Not sure why it took so long other than I spent a bit of time thinking about how to do it. It also seems like trimming the gearbox was a good idea and everything looks like it sits just where I want it. It actually feels quite comfortable – but obviously hasn’t been tested properly yet. Excuse the radiators top hose. I misplaced the one I wanted to use so lashed this together but then found the one I wanted today! The fan required a bit of trimming to fit into place. I’ve got loads of room to bring the radiator forward if I want but as I’m using that original bottom hoses from the Mazda they dictated where it went. I’m trying to use as many standard parts as possible so that replacements are easy to obtain when something breaks. I’m also worried it may be too small and require replacing so don’t want to do anything more than get it running to test it at the moment. Anyhoo, some photos. Right now I’m very tired and very sore!

 photo 20140522_152919_zps8f8920c0.jpg

 photo 20140522_154450_zps9c032bc2.jpg

 photo 20140523_135817_zps8fc7d4bf.jpg

 photo 20140523_163827_zpsf9827373.jpg

 photo 20140523_122128_zpsdaa5b876.jpg

 photo 20140523_122143_zpsef097432.jpg

Long time no spam…

I’ll keep it short with the standard (all be it mini) photo dump.

I’ve been busy lately with the odd bit of drinking, socialising and spent a week in the Peak District climbing, except that turned into a week less half a day getting wet in the rain! The weather for the week before and after were brilliant, typical!

Since the last post I’ve played with the dash which is coming a long but needs a lot of tidying. I’m really not happy with it to be honest and you’ll see why. I’ve also now got an ash tray to fit so that’ll be useful for parking tokens and what not. I finally finished the bulkhead as well and got some paint slapped on. I keep saying it but will do again, this car isn’t meant to be pretty, I just want it to be fun! The brake lines are sorted and I’ll get some fluid in them today and check for leaks. The clutch is ready to be plumbed in. The cooling system is ready to have its final hoses cut and fixed into place. The propshaft and exhaust are bolted up. I also had to modify the speedo drive as it was hitting the chassis and prevented the gearbox from sitting on its mountings!

Jobs left to do (off the top of my head)
Fill/check brakes with fluid
Fill/check clutch with fluid
Bolt up cooling system
Fill/check cooling system
Fit fan
Attach two fuel lines together
Check/adjust wheel bearings
Complete dashboard
Fit seats
Relocate handbrake
Build gearbox tunnel
Fill gearbox

At some point:
Replace propshaft as the UJ’s are toast
Re-seal diff – not doing it at the moment as…
Replace diff with LSD

 photo 20140419_121938_zps772d14d5.jpg

 photo 20140505_154752_zps9e737359.jpg

 photo 20140503_161026_zps40bca2aa.jpg

 photo 20140516_162944_zps28acb2ff.jpg

 photo 20140520_122852_zps190432cb.jpg

 photo 20140520_123444_zps145824d4.jpg

 photo 20140520_124830_zps733bdeac.jpg

 photo 20140520_132740_zpse49abf39.jpg

 photo 20140520_134239_zpsccef538c.jpg

 photo 20140521_111624_zps09828850.jpg

 photo 20140521_124232_zps9fcf6cdc.jpg

 photo 20140521_140821_zpsc124c71a.jpg

 photo 20140521_180136_zps25379153.jpg