Who needs the gym?

I’ll try and make this quick.

Over the last week or so the lower wing has been painted and all is fine. It looks fecking terrible in daylight but aww well. Dirt will soon hide that and hopefully the rear tub will be replaced in a couple of years. The exhaust got a slight tweak so that it no longer fires up into the valance. It was making the paint rather hot and after a short run you couldn’t touch that part of the car. The gases couldn’t have been doing many good things to the metal either.

Saturday I mostly faffed around getting the car outside and cleaning up the garage. No idea what people walking past the house thought when they saw me hoovering the carpet in the garage! I got the doors on and adjusted then turned to the bonnet. No matter what I did I couldn’t get the n/s to sit nicely which I found out was down to it no longer being attached to the bonnet tube there! The catch on the o/s also doesn’t meet the bulkhead. It’s probably got all kinds of bentness going on. Safe to say, the bonnet shut-lines look shite and is well beyond any reasonable effort to put right.

Sunday Mr Dave came over, which turned out to be rather helpful! I’ve cut the ends off the front tube/bumper thingy as they were rotten and at this point found out it’s clearly had a bump in the past and had the tube bent back to normal.

Oh, and whilst I’m here, if your brackets which hold the front valance look like mine, they’re shagged.

Then I set about attacking the 2000, which is where Mr Dave came in handy. Once petrol was added and the hole caused by mice in the servo hose sorted out it fired up a treat. Slight issue though, the clutch was stuck, the n/s rear brake was struck and it was parked tightly into a hedge! At this point I didn’t know the brake was stuck so set about pulling it out by hand thinking is was just tight and would free up with a bit of movement – with Mr Dave inside the car to stamp on the brakes just in case it started to roll over me. Three feet later (as bourne by witness marks on the block paving from the tyre) I was knackered, now aware the brake was stuck on and the car was far enough forward to be “bumped” to the right with two people on the back lifting. Ever tried pulling a 2000 along the ground and then lifting them? They’re sodding heavy… Anyhoo, I put the rear on axle stands, started her up in gear, gave a blip of the throttle and stamped on the brakes with the clutch depressed. That got the clutch off easily and all I had to do for the brake was give it a few swift smacks with a lump hammer and some wood. She got a clean and a polish and was parked back in her spot. Hopefully she’ll be going into covered storage soon.

Whilst the 2000 was accessible I took her front seats out to see if they’d fit in the Herald. It just about works, but is far too tight in my opinion so I’ll not be getting the black ones I really wanted. I’m thinking now of rebuilding the original ones in the car. I’d love recliners for events and just to make it more comfortable, but the b-post makes that idea almost redundant.

I finished up the day by stripping the inside of the car and slapping on some paint. The aim is for a rust-free floor pan and chassis with the outside looking reasonable. I’m slowly getting there.

Hmmm, that wasn’t really that short, was it. Righto, I’m off to cook a curry ready for lunch and nip to the gym. Hopefully the paint I’ve put on this morning will be dry after that and I can fit the new carpets.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *