massive huge oh cock

So yesterday was fun…

I attacked the immobiliser. It’s an Autowatch 239Ti and after a bit of investigation (there’s no wiring diagram) it receives a permanent live from slicing into a wire, and breaks both the fuel circuit/ecu and coils. Pretty simple really then and it was just a case of rejoining the wires which had been broken. I guess to prevent hot wiring the vehicle the installer had removed large lengths of the original wire, possibly ingoing the existence of all the extra long thin ones he’d added? It had also left a few wires short meaning I had to use his existing soldering to attach my extension wires to and not being the best at soldering heavy wires under the a car I mad a very average job. Popped some insulation of the bare wire, fired the car up, heard a loud snap and it carried of turning over. Must be a fuse. Nope. There’s a master fuse board under the bonnet and another in the footwell, all seemed fine. I decided that the wire going to the fuel system and ECU had shorted on the steering column. Despite not looking possible it was the only reasonable explanation. Feck, coil packs or ECU have burnt out. More wiring diagram reading, another pair of eyes, a long winded inspection of the Mazda dealership alarm and other tests proved useless. Feck, coil packs or ECU have burnt out. As there was no spark we took the coil packs out – what idiot put that long bolt at the back of the block – and tested them. All seemed fine. Feck, ECU has burnt out. Whilst checking the coil packs I fully disconnected the ECU to see if it cleared any fault codes. As the coil packs seemed fine adn the car still wouldn’t fire the only choice now was to test all of its voltages on each of its twenty thousand pins to see if it was receiving and sending out what it should. All was going ok and we were onto the third or forth test which has a stated voltage for ign on, ign off and cranking. Got round to the cranking test and the car fired and has been fine since! Odd. Strange. Weird. Today I’m nipping out to buy some LED’s and resistors to make a diagnostics tool! Some quick snaps of how the car looks right now!

Today’s job will be to remove the factory alarm, the black box of wires in the last photo which is obscuring the other block box of wires, both of which need to come out. But I may have to tinker with someone else’s Polo which isn’t well either. I’m starting to suspect the seats are a Mk3 variety which apparently won’t fit in a TR6 so are unlikely to fit in a convertible Herald. But then they’re not meant to fit into a Mk1 MX5 either. Big hammer will solve all…

Other good news. I found out my Momo wheel isn’t specific to Mazda and just has a Mazda and Momo branded cover and my speakers are good enough to be fitted to the Herald doors. 🙂

I can’t wait to get this cheap oil out of the car as well. The pressure is incredible low but I’m putting that down to it being 5/30w and having some remnants of the oil flush still there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *