Well, it’s in. I was right to be concerned by the gauge position as you’re looking through the gap between the faces and the dashboard, but it’ll do for now. Space is very limited and I haven’t found the solution to not using the original Mazda pod. Nor have I found the desire to mess with it right now. I’m planning on driving it around for a good while yet whilst I formulate some kind of plan, then mk2 will be made and with a lot more care. More than anything I’m testing ideas and seeing what shapes and colours will work.
I gave up on using vinyl as it was impossible to stretch over the big gaps but the ash tray and switch backing panel still have it on – nope, the colours aren’t even remotely similar. Not bad for a blast over a bit of plywood with a rattle can.